Monday, January 24, 2011

Thirsty Plants

Several of my plants have been looking drier than normal despite my attention to watering them. It concerns me when my plants appear to to struggle...it really makes me feel bad. I am new to gardening and houseplants, so I read up on the care of each plant and I watch all my plants for signs of distress.

I have a few variegated Ivy's and I am finding that their leaves are drying up even with proper watering. Some of my other plants are distressed as well as evidenced by brown leaf edges. So, I figured perhaps it is the dryness of the house. I purchased a couple of thermometers and found that the humidity was only 32% with the humidifiers running!!! My plants are dry! I put a tray of pebbles with water under the ivy and some of my distressed plants to bring the humidity up around the plants. I still did not feel satisfied. Then I got the idea that I should soak the plants in water in the sink and fully let the water drain out. Then I know they are getting the water they need throughout their roots. This is a bold move door me, but my inner compass says it is all good. The plants needed it. Well, we will see about that.

My gorgeous prayer plant.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment