Friday, January 14, 2011

My first indoor plant...the ponytail palm

My first love...Ponytail Palms

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

One of my first indoor plants was a ponytail palm. I simply fell in love with this plant and ordered several more. I was scared to death of killing this plant because I had zero experience with indoor plants period so I did my research and learned everything I could about ponytail palms. I also called the nursery to make sure I fully understood how to water the plant. What I ended up getting was conflicting advice. Everything I read on the Internet stated not to water the palm often. The nursery said water every week and drench them. I took the middle road. After a month or so, I felt like I was not watering it enough. It looked fine but the mound of soil it sat in appeared to dry, so I took a chance and filled my sink with water and soaked the palm....pot and all in the water for a minute. I let the water fully drain from the drainage hole in the bottom of the pot and put the palm back to sun bath in the window. I nervously watched my palm (I named him Markus) for a week for signs of root rot. He was fine and thrived from his water soakings every 7-10 days. I have several more palms...some I soak in the sink and others I water normally....depending on the type of pot it is planted in.

Markus is thriving and is beautiful. Here is a current picture of Markus

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

1 comment: