Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My cuttings

A few Saturdays back I decided to try to propagate a few of my plants. I have never attempted to propagate a plant, so I had to do some reading on it. So, I bought some rooting powder and some great seed growing potting mix. I read up on the individual plants that I wanted to propagate.
Plant #1 My spiderplant baby.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

This cutting stayed attached to mom for a little over 2 weeks while planted in the soil. I accidentally dislodged him from mommy and noticed he had two little root legs...so I cut him away from mama and he is on his own.

Plant #2 Wandering Jew Stems (2 stems)
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I read that these plants are invasive and grow like a weed, so when I accidentally pulled off a few good stems as I pulled dried leave, I placed the pulled plants in the soil and pressed them in the dirt....and look at it...grew about 2 inches in 2 weeks. I did nothing special...no root powder...nothing. Just some water and sun.

Plant #3 Persian Shield Cutting
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I read and did everything to get this cutting to root. I used the root powder, enclosed it in a plastic bag for humidity and placed under a grow light. See the two baby leaves in the middle? They are new baby leaves...so that's a great sign! One more week in the bag and then I will keep it in the open.

Plant #4 Aglaonema cutting
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


Now this cutting has been treated with tender care like the Persian shield but it is not looking as hopeful. It appears to be drying out and not taking. I will see what another week will bring.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment