Saturday, January 29, 2011

The beauty of Amaryllis

Over the holiday, I bought a beautiful Amaryllis from Krogers. It was not in bloom, but the stalk was well developed. It looked like a candle with an enclosed flame. It was cool looking and the picture of the bloom was beautiful, so I bought my first Amaryllis. I had no idea how much joy watching this plant bloom would afford me.

My first stunning bloom
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Then after the holiday, krogers had a few boxes of amaryllis and paperwhite bulbs for $3.99. I bought a box of each, read the planting directions and watched in awe as the plant grew from a bulb to stunning plants in a matter of a few weeks. Heck, the paperwhites grew inches in a matter of a few hours in a day. Amazing indeed.

My First Paperwhite Bulb
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

My First Amaryllis Bulb
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The Amaryllis had 3 additional huge blooms. Last week I moved my amaryllis on my front porch and it fell over and broke in the center of the stalk. Actually, my son came in the house to deliver the bad news. He said it just fell over when he came in the door. It was an accident. I was very sad, and threw the plant away in anger. Then, I went back, got it out the trash and replanted it. Hopefully if I do everything correctly, I will have blooms by Christmas of this year.

I ordered 2 additional amaryllis bulbs from American Meadows. They were one of the few places I found online that I could still purchase amaryllis bulbs. I ordered a "Jumbo Amaryllis Lemon Star" and by God, the bulb is humongous. just got it today and I have already planted it. I am going to journal the progress of this bulb. I am like a little girl waiting for a brand new doll....so excited. So, I will have to come up with another blog specific to this amaryllis journey.

The second amaryllis I purchased is a Charisma bulb. That bulb is pretty big too. They sent me a third amaryllis for free called a moonlight amaryllis.

I will plant them in a few weeks so that I have beautiful bulbs through Feb and into March.

American Meadows also sent me a package of wild flowers and beef steak tomato seeds. Yippee. They may have a customer for life...cuz their products are guaranteed.







- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. I'm in love with nature. Not only me, there are several celebrities who love plants like their children. Actor Joe Morgan explains how he loves his plants - http://www.rosebudmag.com/hydroponic-tips-ideas/joe-rogan-plants-growers-hydroponics

    ReplyDelete